My practice focuses mainly on the areas of restructuring and insolvency law, including restructurings under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act, bankruptcies and receiverships, as well as foreclosures, creditors’ remedies and security recovery. I have acted as counsel to trustees, receivers, secured lenders, directors, shareholders and debtors in a wide variety of insolvency situations.
I also provide representation and advice to stratas, societies and housing co-operatives for various matters including bank financings, corporate governance, membership relations, terminations, human rights claims and related litigation.
- Successfully representing trustees in bankruptcy and receivers in various insolvency situations including recovering assets fraudulently conveyed by the debtor, assessing and challenging the validity of claims made in the proceedings and sorting out priority disputes.
- Representing various parties involved in restructuring proceedings under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act including secured creditors, unsecured creditors, monitors, and other interested parties.
- Successfully defending former directors of bankrupt companies from various claims related to their directorship.
- Acting for secured creditors to recover assets pursuant to their security under the Personal Property Security Act and the Repairers Lien Act.
- Representative for the Canadian Bar Association, Insolvency Section, to the BC Supreme Court Bankruptcy Practice Committee.
- Former President and Director, Young Insolvency Professionals Society.
- Member at large, Insolvency Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association.
- Member, Insolvency Discussion Group of Vancouver.
- Member and Former Co-Chair, Marketing & Communications Committee, Women Lawyers Forum Section of the Canadian Bar Association.
- Member, International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation.
Lectures / Publications / seminars
- Presenter for the Bankruptcy & Insolvency CLE TV, June 2015, May 2020.
- British Columbia Creditors’ Remedies (Vancouver: Continuing Legal Education Society, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) (co-author).
- Annual Review of Law & Practice, Bankruptcy and Insolvency (Vancouver: Continuing Legal Education Society, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020) (co-author)
- Presenter for the Insolvency Discussion Group, October 2012, February 2018.
- Presenter for the Canadian Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Professionals, May 2016, May 2019.
- Presenter for International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, November 2015.